Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hysteria – Demonic possession or just seeking attention?

emily-rose-1

Yesterday while I was supervising the theater rehearsal at school, we suddenly heard a female scream. There was a commotion in the hallway just outside the main hall where the students involved in the theater competition were having rehearsals. Upon hearing the scream, all of us went to look at what was going on. Turned out a girl was having a fit of hysteria. In other words – Demonic Posession!

Now, I’m a skeptic when it comes to these things. I’m not saying that I completely reject the idea of the supernatural. I believe in ghosts. And I’m certain demons exist too. But I am pretty skeptical when it comes to these so-called “hysterias”. Why am I so skeptical, you ask? Let me tell you why…

  1. In Malaysia, why does it only happen to Malays and not to people of other races? Or more specific, why does it only happen to Malay Muslims and not people of other religions? Don’t give me that crap about those people not being in the right religion. What are you saying? Being a Muslim makes you more susceptible to being possessed by demons? If that is the case, it doesn’t really put Islam in a good light now, does it?
  2. Why does it always seem to happen to FEMALES? I have not once heard or seen of a man in a fit of hysteria. I would like to see one. That would definitely be interesting.
  3. Mimi knows of someone who pretended to be possessed by demons (have a fit of hysteria) for the sake of attention. Now how do we know that most of these s0-called hysterias are not just some sort of ploy to get some attention? I know it’s hard to believe, but some people are just THAT sad and desperate.

Now, when I hear of people getting all hysteric and stuff, I immediately think “Attention Seeker”. Take the girl who had a fit of hysteria yesterday. In the 3 months I’ve been at the school, she has had 3 cases of hysteria. That is ONE hysteria fit EACH MONTH. And when I helped carry her thrashing self to the surau, I heard her mom say that this kind of stuff happens to her when she’s around A LOT OF PEOPLE. Hmmm… Interesting… Don’t you think that if a demon were to possess someone, they’d do it privately where no one is around to thwart its attempt? Why do it in front of tons of people and be stopped? Again… Interesting.

Also, if any of you have seen The Exorcism of Emily Rose (which was inspired by a true story), the hysteria cases I’ve seen (including yesterday’s) was nothing like it. The Exorcism of Emily Rose was SCARY! If I saw anything like that, I wouldn’t have had any trouble believing that it was the real thing. But the hysteria case I saw yesterday only had a girl thrashing on the ground and screaming. Kids do it all the time you know. I do it too whenever I’m having a nightmare :)

What do you guys think?

P/S She was heavy to carry because she was a big girl and she was thrashing around on the ground, not because there was a demon inside of her. Pffft. If you don’t believe me, I’ll thrash around on the ground right now and you see if it’s easy trying to pick me up and carry me somewhere else.

P/P/S Don’t get me wrong. I believe in demonic possessions. Just not the ones I’ve witnessed.

1 comment:

achik said...

ta tau laa , (: